- How big do they get?
Boys are usually 1/3 larger, ranging from 12-18 lbs Girls 8-12 lbs.
- Are Bengals wild animals? Is a Bengal cat a tiger?No, Bengal cats are bred from Asian leopards. Asian leopards have recently come off the endangered species list. So what of the Bengal Cat? Well, it’s name come from the Asian leopard’s scientific name, Felis Bengalensis, (some even speculate that the late Mr. Bill Engle, B. Engle, had some thing to do with the name), so no, it’s not a tiger by any stretch. Bengals carry some of their ancestor’s (the Asian leopard’s) wild nature true, such as a love for water.
- Do Bengal cats need any special care?
No they are totally domestic and eat regular good quality cat foods. Ours eat dry and canned each day and we cook for them too – chicken cat soup…Fresh grass is good too and catnip once in awhile.
- Do Bengals shed?
If you get a kitten with pelt and glitter I find they shed not at all. Just once a year usually in August to get their new coats. Very little owner grooming is necessary.
- What litter do you recommend for a Bengal?
Fresh Magic White Crystal Litter. Totally dehydrates any solid waste and absorbs all urine. No odor at all! The clumpable is very dangerous, especially for kittens as they can ingest it and a clump of sand can develop in their intestines and kill them. Crystal is totally safe if ingested.
- Do Bengal Cats like dogs?
YES – the bengal is a very self-assured cat who is not afraid of basically anything. Once they get used to your dog(s) they become fast friends. Amazing…
- New Bengal Kitten Care
Keep new kitten in a small room by itself in the beginning with litter, food and water and bring it out only when you are home. That way you can teach the cat proper behavior and its limits within your home. You would not turn a two year old toddler loose in your home unsupervised – same with a baby cat…
- New Kitten Health Concerns
Some kittens get loose stools from the stress of moving We recommend feeding them yogurt or buttermilk twice a day to correct this. You can also buy benebac paste at most pet shops or your vet and that is live yogurt cultures. Do they every revert to the “wild”?
In my 14 years with Bengals I have never had any one’s temperament change, neither has any of my customers.
- Do they talk a lot?
No but they will really talk to you and hold a conversation. My daughter taped our Supreme Takaido in a 20 minute talk she had with him one day. They really do answer you….A new kitten may cry the first few days from missing its littermates and familiar surroundings but after they adjust they are fairly quiet cats…
- Neutering & Spaying
Get them spayed or neutered at 6 months